How to Prevent Teeth Staining
Do you miss how white and vibrant your teeth used to be? Teeth naturally change colour as we age due to an accumulation of stains and overall usage. While there is no clear-cut solution for avoiding teeth stains, there are lifestyle habits that can help slow their development. If you suffer from teeth discolouration, here are a few suggestions from our dental team at The Paddington Dental Surgery:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Make sure to brush and floss regularly, use mouthwash, and schedule dental cleanings every six months.
- Refrain from smoking or chewing tobacco. Tobacco is made up of tar and nicotine, which can absorb into the pores of your teeth causing them to turn yellow or brown.
- Avoid certain foods and sauces. Berries, beets, tomato sauce, and soy sauce can contribute to discolouration. Acidic foods, such as citrus fruits and vinegar, can erode the enamel and cause teeth staining.
- Use a straw when you drink beverages that tend to stain. Using a straw when drinking coffee, tea, and cola can help preserve the whiteness of your teeth. You can also refrain from drinking these beverages entirely.
- Stop potential tooth damage. Use a mouthguard if you grind your teeth. Micro-cracks from teeth grinding can cause a darker appearance on biting surfaces. Other cracks caused by a fall or injury can be susceptible to staining. Cracked or broken teeth must be treated by a dental professional to prevent damage from worsening.
- Talk to your doctor about medications. Medication, such as tetracycline antibiotics, can cause teeth staining. Consult a physician about alternative options if you want to avoid this side effect, but do not stop taking prescribed medicine without their approval.
Some degree of teeth staining is to be expected over time, but with proper maintenance and lifestyle changes, it can be minimised. If you are looking for treatment options to address discolouration, you may be a good candidate for teeth whitening or porcelain veneers. We offer in-office and at-home bleaching solutions to lighten the natural colour of your teeth. Individuals with severe cases of discolouration, such as tetracycline stains, may be recommended a strong bleaching treatment called KöR® Whitening or porcelain veneers. Veneers are thin shells of porcelain placed over each tooth to help brighten and improve its appearance. Patients should still stick to the general rules (no smoking, minimise staining drinks, etc.) to prolong the benefits of any teeth staining treatment. It is best to consult a dentist to discuss which procedure can deliver optimal results for you.
Follow our tips to help you achieve a whiter and brighter smile. If you would like more information about our teeth staining treatments, please contact us today to schedule a consultation